There are many common misconceptions when it comes to swimming pools. Most of these myths center on swimming pool maintenance. People often have mistaken beliefs about pools because they have been in pools that weren’t properly taken care of. The swimming pool may not have been cleaned appropriately. The pool owner might have treated the pool with excess or too little chlorine. It’s a good idea to be aware of these misconceptions so that you can educate other pool owners and your friends and family. You’ll also want to let your guests know that they won’t have problems with your pool so that they’ll feel comfortable coming over to swim.
Everyone has heard the tale that if you have light-colored hair, it will turn green if you swim. People believe the swimming pool chlorine is responsible for turning hair green and the problem is unavoidable. Actually, copper is responsible for turning your hair green. The copper typically comes from a copper-based algaecide. There is no reason to use a copper-based algaecide. Chlorine is a much more effective type of algaecide and, despite popular opinion, won’t turn anyone’s hair green.
Another common myth is that the chlorine in swimming pools has a very strong, unpleasant smell. This actually isn’t true. If the pool is maintained properly, there shouldn’t be any smell at all unless it is indoors where odors tend to get trapped. A strong smell is actually caused by chloramines which are created by the swimmers who enter the water. Keep in mind that swimmers typically ignore advice to shower before entering a pool. Therefore, they enter the swimming pool with lotions, sunscreen, makeup and other contaminates on their bodies. The smell in the pool can become even stronger when urine is present in the pool which is common when children play in the pool. The best way to control the chlorine smell is to test the water for appropriate chlorine and pH levels.
People often believe that they’ve gotten red, irritated eyes or skin from chlorine. Once again, the culprit is not the chlorine in the swimming pool. It is actually caused by under-chlorinated pools. If the pool has an appropriate level of chlorine, it won’t cause these problems. It’s actually low chlorine that causes these problems. If you measure your chlorine regularly and keep it at the recommended levels, your swimmers won’t have problems.
Please share and like us!: